Audio cannot be perceived by people who are hard of hearing or Deaf.
That means that similar to Alternative Text for images, an alternative for the audio is available. Such an alternative could be a transcript.
Why Is This Important?
Deaf and hard of hearing people cannot listen to important information that is provided as audio or have a hard time processing it.
Checking for Basic WCAG Requirements
- If audio content exists, is a transcript available?
- If no transcript exists, is the audio content equivalent to content that is available as text on the page?
- Never autoplay any audio.
WCAG 2 Requirements
- 1.1.1 Non-Text Content, Understanding Document
- 1.2.1 Audio-only and Video-only (Prerecorded), Understanding Document